Last week we visited the Royal Palace in Gödöllő. The weather was very nice and sunny in the middle of November. We went by suburban train. The journey take about one hour.
The Royal Palace of Gödöllő is located about 26 kilometersNortheast of Budapest . The Palace is the largest baroque palace in Hungary and the second biggest surfaced palace after Versailles. The building was designed by András Mayerhofer in the 1740's.
The Palace was ordered by Count Antal Grassalkovich in 1773.
Count Antal Grassalkovich was the the richest nobleman of Hungarian aristocracy in the 18th century, a president of the Hungarian Chamber and the royal confidant of the Hungarian queen Maria Theresia.
During the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the building served as a summer residence for Emperor Francis Joseph and Queen Elisabeth between 1867 and 1916. The royal couple spent a lot of time there, especially empress Elisabeth with her children.
The palace was used as summer residence by governor Miklós Horthy between 1920-1944.
After World War II, the Soviet Union occupied Hungary and confiscated the royal palace. The beautiful symbol of the former monarchy was used as a barracks for Soviet troops and later there was a nursing home for the elderly. By the time Hungary declared independence from the Soviet Union in 1989, Gödöllő Palace was in a terrible state of disrepair.
Recently, the castle was beautifully restored to its original splendour.
The Grand Hall is resplendent in white and gold painted rooms, a red marble bath, conservatory, a riding school, a baroque theatre and a large park.
Riding school, long ago and ......
The palace gives home a permanent exhibition, as well as seasonal exhibitions of the historical and contemporary art all year round.